State Authorization

You are here: Home » Academics » State Authorization

State Authorization

State Authorization, which is included in the Higher Education Opportunity Act of 2008 (amended 2010), requires educational institutions to secure authorization to offer instruction in that state. Every state is different and can have different educational requirements for courses and programs designed to meet professional licensure or certification. This is important to know when considering registering for out-of-state courses or if planning to seek employment in another state.

Distance Learning Complaint Process for In-State and Out-of-State Students

Halifax Community College Complaint Procedure

Halifax Community College is committed to mutual respect among all constituents. The College is dedicated at all levels to a fair and reasonable resolution of issues through a formal grievance process guided by the information and documentation provided in the process. This procedure applies to all students regardless of their location. Students who desire to resolve a grievance should follow the College's Student Grievance Procedure.

NC Post-Secondary Education Complaint Procedure

If an issue cannot be resolved internally, you may file a complaint with your state of residence. The Student Complaint Information by State and Agency website provides phone numbers, emails and/or links to state education agencies.

In North Carolina, the University of North Carolina System Office (UNC-System Office) is the agency that handles such complaints. The Student Complaint Policy and the Student Complaint Form are found at the UNC-System Office Post-Secondary Education Complaints website.

SACSCOC Complaint Procedure

HCC is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC) to award associate degrees, diplomas, and certificates. You may file a complaint with the accrediting body only if there is evidence that appears to support significant non-compliance with a SACSCOC requirement or standard by HCC. When filing a complaint to SACSCOC, please follow the guidelines listed in the ‚ÄúProcedures for Filing a Complaint against an Institution‚ÄĚ of the SACSCOC Complaint Procedure.

The contact information is:

Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
1866 Southern Lane
Decatur, Georgia 30033-4097
(404) 679-4500

Licensure and Certification Programs

Some programs at Halifax Community College are designed to lead to a professional license and/or certification. Beginning July 1, 2020, the U.S. Department of Education regulations require disclosures for all programs leading to a license or certification. Disclosures will be provided for all states and will indicate whether the program meets licensure requirements, does not meet licensure requirements, or has not yet been determined for each state.

Any out-of-state student planning to seek professional licensure or certification in their planned state of employment, should visit our Professional Licensure and Certification page to determine who to contact and whether or not our curriculum will meet their state’s requirements.

Additional Resources

NC Business & Occupational License Database
NC-SARA Professional Licensure Directory
U.S. Department of Education Professional Licensure by State

Although we strive to connect you with the best information possible, Halifax Community College cannot confirm whether a particular program meets requirements for professional licensure and/or certification outside of the State of North Carolina.